SUPPORT a state system of paid family and medical leave
Our state legislature is currently working on a budget, and while a lot of their focus is on education funding, the Dems have introduced a bill in both houses that would create a system of paid family and medical leave (SB 5032 in the Senate, HR 1116 in the House). You can read the Bill Summary here. The short version:
- Provides benefits for individuals on leave for a family member's serious health condition, an individual's own serious health condition, a child's birth or placement of a child, or a military exigency.
- Provides up to 26 weeks of leave for birth or placement of a child, for a family member's serious health condition, or for a military exigency, starting October 1, 2019.
- Provides up to 12 weeks of leave for an individual's own serious health condition starting October 1, 2020.
- Establishes benefits, which are capped at $1,000 per week, based on the individual's wage rather than a flat amount.
- Specifies a premium on employers of 0.255 percent of wages beginning on July 1, 2018, and then 0.51 percent of wages beginning January 1, 2020.
- Allows employers to deduct up to one-half of the premiums from the employee's pay.
Who to Call: your state Senator and both state Representatives. Use the District Finder to find your Legislative District and click through for phone numbers.
More Info: text of HR 1116; text of SB 5032
Hi, I'm [name] a constituent from [address]. I'm calling about [SB 5032/HR 1116], the bill that creates a system of paid family and medical leave. I support this social safety net, and I'd like to ask [Sen/Rep Name] to co-sponsor it if [he/she] hasn't yet, to promote it during the budget process and vote for it when [he/she] has the opportunity. Thanks!
<< Past daily actions